Search This Blog

October 7, 2010

Stress upon Stress

I've been getting horrible migraines and falling asleep in class. It's not the first time I've had such episodes. Stanley told me to go to the doctor. I'm not insured so I always held it off. However, there is a doctor's office on campus so I scheduled an appointment. I saw Dr. Shelton yesterday. It was the first time I was at the doctor's in years. In fact, the only time I absolutely know I was at a doctor for my own needs was when my mom was giving birth to me. I don't remember any other time I was at a doctor for my own needs any other time.
I spoke with the doctor about what was wrong. He was a very casual, old man. He asked if I woke up with migraines. I do. He asked me to describe my sleepy spells, if I'd lost weight, if I snore and so on. Dr. Shelton said that it could be a few things. Sleep apnea is the most likely, since I seem to fit those symptopms perfectly. Sleep apnea is when you stop breathing while you sleep. He said it could also be my thyroid slowing down and depleting. I had blood taken for some lab work.
The doctor recommended that I exercise everyday for 30 minutes and drink coffee in the mornings. So today I had a cup of joe and did an exercise DVD of my roommate's. It kind of kicked my butt but it wasn't so bad.
I see Dr. Shelton again next Thursday. I don't know what to think. If I have sleep apnea, it will cost 2-3 thousand dollars to just test. I'd have to go to a sleep lab, they'll put a bunch of patches with sensors on me and watch me sleep. And if I do diagnosed with it, I'd have to wear a mask or insert a mouthpiece to keep me breathing at night. I fit the symptoms really well.
Although, Dr. Shelton wasn't very specific with the thyroid issue either so I'm not sure what to Google when he said that. So, very possibly, I could fit those symptoms also. Who knows?
This whole "what's wrong with me?" is just adding onto me being so behind in my work. I hope to get caught up though.
Did you know that warning signs of migraines, a symptom of sleep apnea, are mood swings and craving sweet or salty foods?
Last night I got so sad I cried but not too long after, I was perfectly fine. And today I munched on salt and pepper chips.
I don't know. Maybe I'm paranoid.
I don't like not knowing. I was comfortable just thinking that it was normal, that it wasn't a big deal.
Whatever, I suppose. Nothing I can do now, no turning back. I'll have my friends and Stan on my ass if I don't follow through with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment